We’re offering free advice to drivers so they can make sure their vehicle is roadworthy before travelling to see family and friends.
Breaking down during the Christmas period and having to wait to be recovered in the cold is no fun for anyone, so we are reminding motorists to check their vehicles before starting their journey.
We know this is a busy time of year so it is easy to forget to inspect your car before travelling long distances. However, it is essential to do this to protect yourselves, family members and other road users too.
We’re offering the following advice:
- Check the battery as one of the most common causes of a winter breakdown is battery failure. Batteries usually need replacing after five years.
- Make sure there is more fuel than you anticipate using for your journey in case of unexpected delays or diversions
- Check the coolant level and if it is low top it up with a mixture of water and antifreeze. If you are unsure get a professional to check it and top it up as required.
- Inspect wiper blades for splits and damage and replace them if necessary.
- Check and clean the lights and keep spare bulbs in the car just in case
- Inspect tyres for damage such as splits or bulges and make sure to get them checked by a professional. Check the pressures every fortnight and for safe winter driving tyres should have at least 3mm of tread.
As motorists are likely to be travelling longer distances during the Christmas period, we are also advising drivers to take regular rest breaks at a suitable location so as not to become tired behind the wheel.
And we recommend you double check your route before setting off and listen to traffic updates regularly.
We specialise in providing customers with tyres, exhausts, batteries, MOTs, fixed price servicing and vehicle repair work.
To find out more about us please drop in at our site on Pottery Close in Weston-super-Mare, call 01934 620 160 or visit www.autoservwsm.co.uk.